Immigrate to Canada from Indonesia
This article provides details on how to emigrate from Indonesia to Canada and the necessary documents and processes involved in each scenario, and other essential information.
In recent years, the number of people immigrating to Canada from Indonesia has increased.
According to Statistics Canada, in 2017 there were almost 20,000 new immigrants from Indonesia who settled in Canada as permanent residents.
That’s an increase of almost 10,000 more than the number of new arrivals from this country in 2016.
In general, moving to Canada from Indonesia is a complex process, requiring specific requirements, documents and procedures for each individual case.
If you are also planning to move from Indonesia to Canada, this guide will help you understand the different ways of doing so, the necessary documents and processes involved in each scenario, and other essential information.
Keep reading to learn about all the details you need when considering emigration from Indonesia to Canada.
Table of Contents
Eligibility Criteria for Immigration to Canada from Indonesia?
In order to immigrate to Canada from Indonesia, you will need to satisfy both the general requirements and the specific criteria for the particular Canadian immigration program that you apply for.
General requirements for immigration to Canada from Indonesia include:
- Being approved for a Canadian immigration program
- Not having a criminal record (police certificates may be requested)
- Possessing good health (a medical examination will be required)
- Financial resources (you need enough money to support your family in Canada)
What Visas and Permits Are Available to Immigrate to Canada from Indonesia?
- Around 500,000 international students live in Canada with a Study Permit.
- You may also need a Visitor Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada.
- A letter of acceptance to enroll in a designated learning institution in Canada is required.
- Once you receive a letter of acceptance, you can apply for the Canadian Study Permit.
- Full-time international students can apply for permission to work on-campus and/or off-campus.
- There is an option to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit to work in Canada after graduation.
- International students with 1 year of full-time skilled work experience in Canada during a 3-year period may be able to become Canadian permanent residents if they meet all of the criteria.
Canadian Experience Class (CEC) Program:
- The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) Program offers permanent residency in Canada.
- This is for international students and temporary foreign workers with Canadian work experience.
- You need 1 year of full-time paid skilled work experience in Canada during a 3-year period.
- Your English/French language abilities must be at least:
- CLB 7 for NOC (2021) TEER Skill Level 0 or 1 occupations
- CLB 5 for NOC (2021) TEER Skill Level 2 or 3 occupations
- Other eligibility requirements must be satisfied.
- Application for immigration to Canada from Indonesia through the CEC Program is made using the Express entry visa to canada.
Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP):
- Another way to immigrate to Canada from Indonesia is via the Canada skilled worker visa.
- 1 year of full-time paid work experience in the past 10 years in an eligible occupation is required.
- Eligible occupations are classified by the 2021 NOC as TEER Skill Level 0, 1, 2 or 3.
- The FSWP is a point-based Canadian immigration program and 67 out of 100 points are needed.
- Points can be received for age, English/French, education, experience, adaptability and job offer.
- An Educational Credential Assessment is needed if your education was from outside of Canada.
- Application for immigration to Canada via the FSWP is made using the Express Entry system.
Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP):
- The Skilled Trades Program offers Canadian permanent residency to eligible immigrants.
- 2 years of full-time paid work experience in the past 5 years in an eligible skilled trade is required.
- You need a Certificate of Qualification OR Canadian job offer in an eligible trade lasting 1 year.
- The English/French language criteria must also be satisfied as follows:
- At least CLB 5 for listening and speaking
- At least CLB 4 for writing and reading
- Additional criteria must be met and application is made using the Express Entry system.
Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs):
- There are 11 Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) for immigration to Canada.
- A goal of the PNP is to help provinces and territories fill Canadian job openings.
- Each participating province or territory develops the unique criteria for its PNP.
- Foreign workers must generally have work experience in a high-demand occupation.
- A certain level of English or French language skills is normally required.
- You must first apply to the PNP of a province or territory in Canada.
- After you receive a nomination for a PNP, you can apply for Canadian permanent residency.
- If you immigrate to Canada via the PNP, you will settle in the nominating province/territory.
- Canadian permanent residents and citizens can sponsor their family for immigration to Canada.
- The sponsor must be at least 18 years of age and capable of supporting their family member(s).
- Both the sponsor and the sponsored family member(s) must meet all of the criteria.
- Family members who may be sponsored to become a Canadian permanent resident include your:
- Spouse or common-law partner
- Dependent children under 22 years of age who do not have a spouse/partner
- Parents and grandparents
- Orphaned nephew or niece under 18 years of age and without a spouse/partner
- Orphaned grandchildren under 18 years of age and without a spouse/partner
- Other eligible family members
Step-by-Step Guide to Immigrating to Canada from Indonesia?
Choose where to live in Canada:
- Where should you live in Canada for the best job opportunities?
- Will you be staying with family or friends already living in Canada?
- Which city offers you and your family the quality of life you desire?
Pass eligibility requirements for the Canada immigration program that you chose:
- Check to find the Canadian immigration program that best matches your profile.
- Each Canadian immigration program has its own criteria and application process.
- Canadian Visa Expert can provide you with an Eligibility Assessment.
Gather all important documents:
- You must provide supporting documents to prove what you claim in your application.
- Examples include: passport, birth certificate, diplomas/degrees, medical exams, etc.
- Any required document that is not in English or French must be translated.
Get your ECA educational credential assessment:
- You will need an ECA for the FSWP if your education was from outside Canada.
- The ECA assesses if your education is valid and equivalent to a Canadian education.
- Only a designated organization can perform the ECA.
- ECA results will be requested when you file your Express Entry profile (if relevant).
- You and your family members will have a medical exam at the end of the process.
- An authorized medical professional will perform the medical exam in your country.
- The medical exam is to confirm that you and your family are in good health.
Apply for Biometrics:
- Your fingerprints and digital photo will be taken at the end of the application process.
- You will give your biometric data at one of the Canadian Visa Application Centers.
Use a Canadian immigration lawyer or authorized consultant:
- You can apply for immigration to Canada from Indonesia by yourself, however, using an authorized Canadian immigration consultant or lawyer can help to make this complex procedure easier to understand and to complete correctly.
- Canadian Visa Expert works with authorized immigration consultants who can provide you with an Eligibility Assessment and guide you through the application process.
More than 400,000 people each year immigrate to Canada from Indonesia and other countries through various Canadian visa programs.
As you have read, there are many different pathways for immigration to Canada from Indonesia, including the FSWP, FSTP, CEC, PNP and Family Sponsorship.
Each of these Canadian immigration programs has its own eligibility requirements and application procedure.
If you and your family are approved for immigration to Canada from Indonesia as Canadian permanent residents, you can:
- live, study and work in Canada for an unlimited amount of time
- receive free or subsidized public healthcare
- get access to quality educational programs
- have opportunities to buy a home and start a business
- sponsor eligible family members for Canadian immigration
- enjoy freedom and equality in an immigrant-friendly country
- travel to and from Canada whenever you desire
- apply to become a Canadian citizen after living in Canada 3 out of 5 years
The first step of the process is to learn which of the several Canadian immigration programs you are eligible to apply for.
Since 2012, Canadian Visa Expert has been working with authorized immigration consultants who can evaluate your options for immigration to Canada from Indonesia and also guide you step-by-step through the application process if you qualify.
Are you ready for a new life full of possibilities living in Canada?
Canadian Visa Expert makes the process easy and affordable!
Discover Frequently Asked Questions from Our Support
Cities in Canada
Ottawa is the national capital of Canada, home to the Parliament, Prime Minister and Cabinet, and the Supreme Court. The federal government is the largest employer in Ottawa, but many people work in technology, tourism, finance, insurance, trade, construction, healthcare among other occupations.
Founded in 1608, Quebec City is one of the oldest cities in North America. Residents and visitors alike can enjoy the French-Canadian charm of Chateau Frontenac and Vieux-Québec (Old Quebec). Quebec City also has a strong economy with the key sectors including healthcare, services, commerce, and tourism.