British Columbia Employment

British Columbia’s government is predicting that more than one million Canadian jobs will be created in the province during the next 10 years.

It is also forecast that almost 80% of these new jobs will require post-secondary education, such as a university degree, vocational school certificate or other skills training.

Approximately 63% of these positions will involve replacing retiring Canadian workers, while the other 37% of the job openings will be produced by economic growth, according to the provincial government’s report.

Vancouver is a great place to live in Canada.

For the many years, British Columbia has generally maintained one of the lowest unemployment rates of any Canadian province or territory.

For example, British Columbia’s overall unemployment rate in March 2022 was only 5.1 percent, but the provincial capital of Victoria enjoyed a very low rate of 4.1 percent, while in Vancouver it was just 5.4 percent.

According to the provincial government’s prediction, the business sectors that are expected to generate the most job openings in British Columbia during the next 10 years include education, health care, social services, science and technology, along with skilled trades such as construction workers, mechanics and cooks.

There are concerns, however, that British Columbia will lack enough qualified workers to fill these skilled occupations.

British Columbia’s minister of advanced education and skills training says the provincial government is considering speeding up the process for skilled foreign workers to receive skills recognition credentials. 

Move to British Columbia!

If you are thinking about immigration to Canada, you may want to consider living and working in British Columbia.

British Columbia is located on the west coast of Canada and is a scenic province with snow-capped mountains, pine forests and beautiful beaches.

Vancouver is the largest city in British Columbia, has a diverse population of more than 662,000 residents, and is Canada’s third most populous metropolitan area (population 2.6 million).

Known as Canada’s Gateway to the Pacific, Vancouver is a key hub for international trade and is also a primary port of entry for people immigrating to Canada from the Pacific Rim.

In addition to trade, other major business sectors in Vancouver include the film and television industry (Vancouver is nicknamed “Hollywood North”), information technology and video game development, aerospace, construction, biotechnology, and tourism – among others.

Victoria, the provincial capital of British Columbia, is situated on the southern shore of Vancouver Island and has around 91,867 residents (approximately 397,000 people live in the metro area).

The top sectors of Victoria’s economy include provincial, federal and local government; education; technology; engineering; manufacturing; retail; food products; pharmaceuticals; telecommunications; tourism; and banking.

Canadian Immigration

Before you can live and work in British Columbia as a skilled immigrant, you will need to be approved for Canadian immigration.

The Canadian immigration goal stated by the government for 2022 is to approve 431,645 immigrants for permanent residency in Canada.

You and your family could be among these new Canadian permanent residents if you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements for immigration to Canada.

Since 2012, Canadian Visa Expert has been collaborating with authorized immigration consultants who can provide you with an Eligibility Evaluation to determine which of the several Canadian immigration programs best matches your profile.

The authorized immigration consultants who work with Canadian Visa Expert can also walk you through each step of the application process if you qualify, to make the procedure easier for you to complete correctly.

Whether you live and work in British Columbia or another province or territory, the high standard of living in Canada is hard to beat.


Canada is one of the world's top immigration destinations.

DISCLAIMER: This guide is not and shall not be considered as professional or expert advice.


Copy link
Powered by Social Snap