Work in Canada

Would you like to live and work in Canada as a permanent resident, but you’re not sure how?

There are several Canadian visa programs available for skilled immigrants who want to become permanent residents of Canada, such as the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), and Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP).

Application for Express Entry immigration to Canada can be made if you meet the eligibility requirements for the FSWP, FSTP, PNP or the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program.

Each of these Canadian visa programs for skilled immigrants and their family members has unique eligibility requirements that must be satisfied and particular application procedures that must be followed correctly.

If you are approved for Canadian immigration as a permanent resident, you can live in Canada for an unlimited amount of time; work in Canada; attend Canadian educational programs; start a business if you are so inclined; have the opportunity to buy a home; receive universal public healthcare; sponsor certain family members for a visa to Canada; and apply for Canadian citizenship after you live in Canada for at least three years.

Beyond all of this, as a Canadian permanent resident you could enjoy a high quality of life in a beautiful, immigrant-friendly country that was ranked as the #1 best place in the world to live for 2021.

Does this sound like something you would like; to become a Canadian permanent resident?

Here are four ways you could work in Canada long-term as a skilled immigrant.

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) offers Canadian permanent residency to skilled immigrants who have a minimum of one year of full-time paid work experience in an eligible occupation completed during a 10-year period prior to applying.

These eligible occupations are categorized as Skill Type 0 (various kinds of managers); Skill Level A (particular professions that usually require a university degree) and Skill Level B (certain skilled trades and other occupations that require post-secondary training).

Many of the occupations that qualify for the FSWP are in healthcare, education, information technology, business and finance, and construction.

The FSWP is based on a points system in which 100 points are possible and a minimum of 67 points are required, based on your English and French language skills, education, relevant work experience, age, qualifying Canadian job offer, and adaptability for immigration.

Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)

If you are a skilled tradesperson with two years of full-time paid work experience during the past five years in an eligible trade, you may be able to apply for immigration to Canada through the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).

The skilled trades that qualify for the FSTP are categorized as Skill Level B occupations and include specific electrical, construction and industrial trades; certain equipment operation and maintenance trades; technical and supervisory occupations in natural resources or agriculture and related production; particular central control operators and supervisors for manufacturing, processing and utilities; as well as bakers, butchers, chefs and cooks who meet the criteria.

An applicant for the FSTP must demonstrate a certain level of English or French language abilities by achieving an adequate score on an approved language evaluation exam, such as the IELTS for English or the TEF for French.

In addition to satisfying the job criteria for the eligible skilled trade, an applicant for the FSTP will need either a Certificate of Qualification for the skilled trade issued by a federal, provincial or territorial authority in Canada or a qualifying offer of full-time Canadian employment that will last at least one year.

Please note that there are other eligibility requirements that need to be satisfied for immigration to Canada through the FSTP.

Canada is the most desired dream destination for relocation to another country.

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

There are 11 Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) for immigration to Canada, established in collaboration with the Canadian federal government and the provincial or territorial governments of: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, and Yukon.

Each Canadian province or territory that participates in the PNP creates its own eligibility requirements, based on its local needs for workers.

In general, you will first apply to the PNP of the province or territory where you would like to live and work in Canada.

If that particular province or territory determines that you satisfy the criteria it is looking for, it will nominate you for immigration to Canada through its PNP.

Once you have received your provincial nomination, you can apply for permanent residency with the federal Canadian immigration agency.


Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP)

The Quebec Regular Skilled Worker Program (QSWP) is a Canadian immigration program for skilled foreign workers who want to live and work in the mostly French-speaking province of Quebec.

The QSWP is based on a point system, in which points can be received for education and level of training; work experience; your age; French and English language abilities; your connection to Quebec; financial self-sufficiently; qualifying job offer in Quebec; adaptability; characteristics of your spouse or partner; and having children under 22 years of age.

An applicant who is single needs at least 50 out of 103 points and an applicant who is married or has a partner needs a minimum of 59 out of 120 points.

You must first apply for the QSWP and if approved by Quebec’s provincial government, you can then apply to the federal Canadian immigration agency for permanent residency in Canada.

Quebec is Canada's French-speaking province.

Take the First Step

These are four of the most popular ways for skilled immigrants to live and work in Canada as permanent residents, however, there are other Canadian visa programs as well.

How can you know which Canadian visa program you are eligible to apply for?

Canadian Visa Expert works with three authorized immigration consultants who can provide you with an Eligibility Assessment of your best option for immigration to Canada.

In the event that you are eligible to start the process for Canadian immigration, the immigration consultants can also walk you carefully through each step of the procedure, to make it easier for you to complete correctly.

Are you ready to take the first step on your pathway to live and work in Canada?


DISCLAIMER: This guide is not and shall not be considered as professional or expert advice.


Copy link
Powered by Social Snap