What is the processing time for obtaining a work permit for Canada from UAE?
If you’re a UAE resident looking to work in Canada, you may be wondering about the timeline for obtaining a work permit.
If you are from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and want to live and work in Canada, you will need to have a Canadian work permit or become a permanent resident of Canada.
This brief guide will examine how long it takes to get a work permit for Canada from the UAE.
Let’s dive in!
Table of Contents
What is the Canada visa processing time?
No matter which Canadian visa or work permit you apply for, there will be a certain waiting period or application processing time until you get your visa or work permit approved and issued.
You will be required to take several steps for acquiring the visa and/or work permit and these steps take a certain amount of time.
There are also different processing times for a Canadian visa or work permit, depending on your country of citizenship.
Average Canadian Work Permit Processing Time from the UAE
The average Canadian work permit processing time from the UAE is 39 weeks.
What are the different types of Canadian work permits?
There are two major types of Canadian work permits:
Employer-specific work permit – This type of Canadian work permit is given by a specific employer with very detailed conditions describing the type of work in Canada that you will do, the length of time required to perform this work, and the location. This means that you will arrive in Canada to work at a specific destination, for a particular employer for a certain period of time.
The documents required include:
- Official Canadian employer contract
- Copy of the LMIA (Labor Market Impact Assessment)
Open work permit – This type of Canadian work permit allows the holder to legally work in Canada for any employer anywhere in the country.
The following foreign nationals may qualify for an open work permit:
- Recent graduate of a designated learning institution in Canada who is eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program;
- A student in Canada who can no longer afford to pay their tuition costs (a destitute foreign student);
- Someone who has applied for permanent residence in Canada;
- A dependent family member of a person who has applied for permanent residence;
- the spouse, common-law partner, or dependent child of either a low-skilled or high-skilled worker;
- the spouse or common-law partner of an international student;
- the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program;
- a refugee, refugee claimant, or protected person; or
- a Temporary Resident Permit holder.
Factors that Affect the Canada Work Permit Processing Time from the UAE
Here are the most common factors that will affect the processing time of your application:
- Type of Canadian visa application
- The amount of documentation that will need to be reviewed
- The complexity of the application
- Accuracy of your documentation
- Seasonal demand for the visa
- Your nationality and residency
- Your background information
- Backlogs of pending applications
In some instances, you will also need to pass an in-person interview at the Canadian Consulate or Embassy in your country of residence.
It is a good idea to keep an eye on your application’s status, as you might be asked to provide additional support for your application, and if you miss this request, your case might be pending or even rejected.
To conclude, the processing time for a Canadian work permit from the UAE can vary, but it generally takes about 39 weeks.
The accuracy of your documents and application will play an important role in getting the work permit approved and the time it will take to be processed.
Another way to live and work in Canada is to become a Canadian permanent resident.
Over 400,000 immigrants become Canadian permanent residents each year and most of them are skilled foreign workers and their family members.
It can take about the same amount of time to be approved for Express Entry immigration to Canada from the UAE as it does to be approved for a Canadian work permit.
For example, it takes around 36-48 weeks to complete the Express Entry immigration process.
Canadian Visa Expert works with authorized immigration consultants who can evaluate your eligibility for Express Entry and guide you through the application process if you qualify.
To receive your Eligibility Evaluation, click here!
Discover Frequently Asked Questions from Our Support
Canadian Visa Expert makes the process easy and affordable!
Cities in Canada
Ottawa is the national capital of Canada, home to the Parliament, Prime Minister and Cabinet, and the Supreme Court. The federal government is the largest employer in Ottawa, but many people work in technology, tourism, finance, insurance, trade, construction, healthcare among other occupations.
Founded in 1608, Quebec City is one of the oldest cities in North America. Residents and visitors alike can enjoy the French-Canadian charm of Chateau Frontenac and Vieux-Québec (Old Quebec). Quebec City also has a strong economy with the key sectors including healthcare, services, commerce, and tourism.