How To Renew your Nigerian passport in Canada
This article provides a step-by-step guide on how to renew a Nigerian passport in Canada. From gathering the required documents to submitting the application, this guide will help Nigerian citizens living in Canada navigate the passport renewal process.
In need to renew your expiring Nigerian passport, but you currently reside in Canada?
No need to worry, as you can do it easily while living in Canada.
Due to the fact that a Nigerian passport’s expiration is every five years, around 42,000 Nigerians living in Canada renew their passport annually.
Therefore, the procedure of renewing the passport is important to know and is used widely by Nigerians living in Canada.
This article will provide you with the steps that need to be taken in Canada in order to renew your Nigerian passport.
Table of Contents
1. First, you need to find where the Nigerian consular services are being offered in Canada.
The Nigerian High Commission (Nigerian Consulate) is the only diplomatic mission that Nigeria has in Canada and it is located at: 295 Metcalfe Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K2P 1R9, Canada.
The email address for the Nigerian High Commission in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, is: [email protected]
2. Complete the online application:
- Go to the Immigration Service website of the Nigerian government
- In the Passport Section, choose “Apply for Passport Renewal
- In the Passport Type Section, choose “Standard ePassport” and you will be prompted to choose “Processing Country” – select “Canada”
- Read carefully the important notice about the payment, which you will need to complete before submitting your online application
- Click on “Start Application”
- You’ll be asked to login via your personal Google, Yahoo or OpenID account
- Once the above step is done, you can now start filling out your application
- Before submitting your application, you will be asked to select processing embassy in Canada
- Final step is to complete the payment and print the copy of your online application, which will also include your application ID and Reference Number
3. For your consulate visit, which you need to schedule ahead of time, you need to bring PRINTED documents, such as:
- Copy of your online application
- Payment receipt for your online application
- Acknowledgement slips
- Your expired Nigerian passport
- Copies of the inner data pages of your passport
- 2 passport-size photos according to the Nigerian photo requirements
- Envelope with your mailing address, which will be used to send you your renewed passpor
Cost of Renewing a Nigerian Passport in Canada
Let’s get down to the cost of renewing your Nigerian passport in Canada, which is rather straightforward.
- Ages 16-59 years of age will need to pay $200 CAD
- Ages under 16 or over 60 years of age will need to pay $120 CAD
These costs cover the following:
- Legal fees and taxes
- Delivery fees
Please note that the fees are subject to change.
How Long Does a Nigerian Passport Renewal in Canada Take?
It should take around 8 weeks after submission of your application, in order for your passport to be ready, though it can be faster.
One of the factors affecting the length of your wait is how busy the Nigerian Consulate immigration in Canada is at that moment.
In addition, it may take time for you to get a consular interview date when you desire.
Make sure to renew your passport prior to its expiration, so you will not be left without this important legal document while living in Canada.
Now that you know the basics of how to renew your Nigerian passport in Canada, you are prepared ahead of time and can easily complete it on your own!
If you are reading this and are not yet living in Canada, the first step is to find out if you qualify to apply for a Canadian visa for permanent residency.
Over 400,000 people immigrate to Canada every year and Nigeria is one of the top countries of origin for new Canadian permanent residents.
Most of the people approved for immigration to Canada each year are skilled foreign workers and their family members.
Since 2012, Canadian Visa Expert has been working with authorized immigration consultants who can provide you with an Eligibility Evaluation of your best option for immigration to Canada and guide you through the application process if you qualify.
The Easy Way to Immigrate to Canada From Nigeria
Your One Stop Shop of Services for Moving to Canada From Nigeria
Move to Canada from Nigeria in 3 Easy Steps:
The first step is to register as a new client of Canadian Visa Expert.
Complete your online eligibility assessment application.
Submit your eligibility assessment application for evaluation.
Your Assessment Results will inform you about your best visa option.
To take your first step, click here!
The second step for eligible clients will involve gathering and checking the documents needed for the application.
You will be guided on taking the English or French language exam and getting your Education Credential Assessment (ECA).
Your documents will be checked and you will be informed if you are eligible to move forward to the final step.
At the start of the third step, you will sign a retainer with the immigration consultants.
The immigration consultants will file your Express Entry profile on your behalf.
After you get an Invitation to Apply, the immigration consultants will submit your Canadian PR Visa Application and a decision is usually made within 6 months.
Discover Frequently Asked Questions from Our Support
Canadian Visa Expert makes the process easy and affordable!
Cities in Canada
Ottawa is the national capital of Canada, home to the Parliament, Prime Minister and Cabinet, and the Supreme Court. The federal government is the largest employer in Ottawa, but many people work in technology, tourism, finance, insurance, trade, construction, healthcare among other occupations.
Founded in 1608, Quebec City is one of the oldest cities in North America. Residents and visitors alike can enjoy the French-Canadian charm of Chateau Frontenac and Vieux-Québec (Old Quebec). Quebec City also has a strong economy with the key sectors including healthcare, services, commerce, and tourism.